Man Utd told Ten Hag to lower hopes for the season; Chelsea hunt three major signings


Manchester United told new boss Erik ten Hag to reduce his expectations forward of the new season — ESPN’s Insider Notebook has the newest. PLUS: Chelsea’s spending spree reveals no signal of ending.

Jump to: Chelsea look for three huge signings | City’s left-back search, Bernardo newest | No NFL type matches in Premier League | Barca not the solely LaLiga concern with registrations | PSG banish Icardi as they search a departure

Ten Hag told to mood Man Utd expectations

Manchester United chiefs had been eager for Erik ten Hag to play down expectations forward of the new season, sources told ESPN, however the Dutchman as an alternative determined to speak up their possibilities in an effort to enhance the confidence inside his squad.

United completed sixth in the Premier League final season, 13 factors outdoors the Champions League locations and a whopping 35 factors behind champions Manchester City. It prompted some Old Trafford workers members to advise Ten Hag to maintain early expectations “realistic” whereas the bulk of the squad remained the similar, however the new United boss was bullish about his staff’s hopes for the new marketing campaign over the summer time.

He additionally selected to speak up the gamers he inherited — together with downside areas of the squad like central midfield — in a bid to restore morale inside the dressing room after coming to the conclusion it has been severely broken by a depressing season underneath Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ralf Rangnick.

– Balotelli? Chicharito? Scouting strikers after Arnautovic setback
– O’Hanlon: Ranking the Premier League’s finest gamers (E+)

– Don’t have ESPN? Get immediate entry

Sources told ESPN there’s a feeling inside the membership that a few of Rangnick’s public feedback about the squad have affected the gamers and Ten Hag has been fast to distance himself from a lot of the German’s evaluation, together with that United wanted “open-heart surgery” this summer time. Despite heaping reward on midfielders Scott McTominay and Fred forward of the opening weekend defeat to Brighton, sources told ESPN that Ten Hag was already effectively conscious they might wrestle with out additional reinforcements.

Interest in Juventus midfielder Adrien Rabiot, which grew to become public on Monday, has been considered as a knee-jerk response to the 2-1 defeat to Brighton, however sources mentioned that Juventus first acquired official contact from United on Saturday simply 24 hours earlier than the sport in opposition to Graham Potter’s facet. United stay in talks over a deal for Rabiot and stay in the hunt for Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong regardless of a rising feeling they could lose out to Chelsea. — Rob Dawson

Chelsea spending spree reveals no signal of ending

Chelsea head coach Thomas Tuchel desires three extra signings earlier than the switch window closes subsequent month, sources told ESPN, with Wesley Fofana, Frenkie De Jong and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang his key targets.

The Blues are eager on bringing in a centre-back, a central midfielder and a striker as the membership proceed to play catch-up in the switch market. Although Chelsea have made 5 signings together with Raheem Sterling, Kalidou Koulibaly and Marc Cucurella, Tuchel is anxious about the depth and high quality of his squad if they’re to compete for the Premier League and Champions League titles.

Leicester City’s Fofana is his high centre-back goal though Leicester are demanding a world-record payment for a defender, in extra of the £80 million Manchester United paid them for Harry Maguire in 2019.

The Blues are additionally keen on De Jong and have indicated to Barcelona they’re keen to match United’s bid for the Dutchman, which stands at €63m rising to €75m. Sources have additionally indicated De Jong desires to keep at Barcelona, but when he’s pressured to depart, the 25-year-old would like a transfer to Chelsea over United.

Chelsea are additionally exploring a deal to signal striker Aubameyang, however comparable to De Jong, he desires to keep at Camp Nou and his departure is just being thought-about due to Barcelona’s ongoing financial difficulties. Chelsea suffered an additional blow earlier this week when one other ahead into account, Benjamin Sesko, agreed a deal to transfer from FC Salzburg to RB Leipzig subsequent summer time.

Meanwhile, Tuchel can also be planning for the future with curiosity in Inter Milan midfielder Cesare Casadei, though he isn’t seen as a direct first-team prospect given the 19-year-old is but to play a sport in Serie A. — James Olley

Media-card contentItem__content–fullWidth contentItem__content–inline”>Media-wrapper_image video” data-source=”intl”>Media-wrapper_image”>Media=”(min-width: 376px)”>Media=”(max-width: 375px)”>play
Media-caption”>

1:49

Julien Laurens and Mark Ogden slam Manchester United for concentrating on Marko Arnautovic as a striker resolution.

Man City stand agency over £80m-rated Bernardo Silva

Manchester City have severe doubts about whether or not Barcelona can give you a monetary package deal to tempt them into permitting Bernardo Silva to depart, sources told ESPN.

Barcelona are eager on the Portugal midfielder, who told ESPN this week that his future stays up in the air forward of the switch deadline. But sources told ESPN that City would solely contemplate a deal if the Spanish facet had been to bid in extra of £80m and the Premier League champions had time to discover a appropriate substitute. Barcelona stay in monetary issue and are struggling to register the new signings they’ve made already this summer time and there’s a feeling at the Etihad Stadium that Silva is past their attain.

– Exclusive: Bernardo Silva speaks to ESPN

Sources added that City’s focus earlier than the switch deadline is to signal a longtime left-back after strolling away from a deal for Marc Cucurella — who has since joined Chelsea — due to Brighton’s demand for a payment of greater than £50m.

City are anticipated to signal Anderlecht’s Sergio Gomez for £11m, however he’s considered predominantly as a growth signing, though he may stay at the membership this summer time if one other full-back doesn’t arrive. — Rob Dawson

Media-card contentItem__content–fullWidth contentItem__content–inline”>Media-wrapper_image video” data-source=”intl”>Media-wrapper_image”>Media=”(min-width: 376px)”>Media=”(max-width: 375px)”>play
Media-caption”>

1:32

Gab Marcotti and Julien Laurens debate whether or not Timo Werner would have an actual influence if he returned to RB Leipzig.

No NFL-style abroad video games in Premier League for now

The Premier League won’t observe the NFL and NBA by staging common season video games abroad after chief govt Richard Masters mentioned it’s “not the right time” to revive plans to play fixtures in major cities throughout the world.

Back in 2008, proposals to play one worldwide spherical of Premier League fixtures as well as to the 38 common video games — dubbed the thirty ninth step — had been shortly deserted following widespread condemnation from supporters and plenty of inside the sport, together with former Manchester United supervisor Sir Alex Ferguson, who criticised membership house owners for failing to seek the advice of staff managers. The thought was additionally dismissed by FIFA and UEFA, however whereas the undertaking has been in chilly storage, nations together with Spain and Italy have since taken their Super Cup video games — which pit league winners in opposition to cup winners — abroad to nations together with China, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Morocco.

Major U.S. leagues together with the NFL and NBA now have lengthy established common season video games staged outdoors the United States. But regardless of the world enchantment of the Premier League, which has now seen the worth of the league’s abroad broadcast deal (£5.05 billion) exceed the home rights (£5bn), Masters mentioned that it’s nonetheless too quickly to rethink taking aggressive fixtures outdoors of England and Wales.

“Yes,” Masters mentioned, when requested if it was too quickly to evaluate the proposals. “We had this discussion in 2008, which is a long time ago, but I don’t think now is the right time. It’s not part of our agenda.

“There are points to kind out with the calendar due to the adjustments at European degree [new Champions League format from 2024-25] and FIFA have not but concluded what they need to do with the world calendar.

“We are an active part of the World Leagues Forum, discussing things at a global level and obviously want to protect domestic league football as best we can.

“There are a lot of points happening and, at the second, it [overseas PL games] is just not one thing that’s a part of our dialogue.” — Mark Ogden

Media-card contentItem__content–fullWidth contentItem__content–inline”>Media-wrapper_image video” data-source=”intl”>Media-wrapper_image”>Media=”(min-width: 376px)”>Media=”(max-width: 375px)”>play
Media-caption”>

1:31

Rob Dawson feels Manchester City would find it very difficult to replace Bernardo Silva should he leave the club before the transfer deadline.

Barcelona not the only LaLiga concern with registrations

Barcelona’s issues registering their new players have dominated the headlines in recent weeks, but they aren’t the only Spanish team sweating ahead of the first round of games this weekend.

LaLiga’s squad spending limits have also seen Real Betis struggling to register their new signings — and even the contract extension of captain Joaquin, 41 — meaning that with just hours to go before the season kicks off they had registered just 16 first-team players.

– LaLiga is back! Team by team guide
– Barcelona chaos: Explaining their financial issues

– Stream every LaLiga match on ESPN+ (U.S. only)

Betis had hoped to give themselves some breathing space by allowing wing-back Alex Moreno to join Nottingham Forest, but a late U-turn from the player saw him reject a move to the Premier League earlier this week.

On Thursday, the club were still racing to register a number of big names, including goalkeeper Claudio Bravo, midfielder Andres Guardado and forward Willian Jose, as well as new arrivals Luiz Felipe and Luiz Henrique. Sources told ESPN that Betis were hurrying to resolve the situation before their opening game of the season, hosting Elche on Monday evening, but did not want to set any deadlines.

The club are working on possible player departures, as well as Barca-style financial “levers” — perhaps based on borrowing against future season ticket income — that could bring in the necessary funds, sources said. Betis have also sought to reassure players’ agents with a message of calm, saying that even if the situation cannot be sorted out this weekend, they are confident of being able to do so before the transfer window closes on Sept. 1. — Alex Kirkland and Rodri Faez

Media-card contentItem__content–fullWidth contentItem__content–inline”>Media-wrapper_image video” data-source=”intl”>Media-wrapper_image”>Media=”(min-width: 376px)”>Media=”(max-width: 375px)”>play
Media-caption”>

1:34

Julien Laurens provides an update of where Barcelona stands financially as well as their pursuit of Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva.

PSG banish Icardi from training

Paris Saint-Germain have banished Mauro Icardi from first team training, sources told ESPN, along with a collection of other players they are keen to move on.

Icardi is on the transfer list after manager Christophe Galtier decided to drop him from the first team squad. The striker, 29, is now training separately alongside Ander Herrera, Idrissa Gueye, Thilo Kehrer and Julian Draxler in a second group dubbed “The Loft.” Icardi was omitted from the squad for PSG’S Ligue 1 opener in opposition to Clermont final weekend and determined to spend two days in Ibiza along with his household.

The Argentina worldwide has endured a tough spell in Paris following his transfer from Inter Milan in 2019. He scored 12 in his first season at the membership after which seven the following 12 months. Icardi scored 4 final season and PSG have tried to drum up curiosity in the participant this summer time, however to date no membership has come ahead for a participant who has a contract at PSG till 2024.

On Thursday, ESPN reported that PSG contacted Marcus Rashford over the chance of signing the Manchester United ahead to strengthen their squad this summer time. — Julien Laurens

Leave a Comment